Current:Home > StocksOrganizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack -AlphaFinance Experts
Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 15:53:10
VIENNA (AP) — Organizers of three Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna this week called them off on Wednesday after officials announced arrests over an apparent plot to launch an attack on an event in the Vienna area such as the concerts.
Swift was scheduled to play at the Austrian capital’s Ernst Happel Stadium on Thursday, Friday and Saturday as part of her Eras Tour.
Event organizer Barracuda Music said in a post on its Instagram channel late Wednesday that “we have no choice but to cancel the three scheduled shows for everyone’s safety.” It cited government officials’ “confirmation” of a planned attack at the stadium.
Earlier Wednesday, authorities said they had arrested two suspected extremists, one of whom appeared to be planning an attack on an event in the Vienna area such as the upcoming concerts.
The 19-year-old main suspect was arrested in Ternitz, south of Vienna, and the second person in the Austrian capital.
Franz Ruf, the public security director at Austria’s interior ministry, said authorities were aware of “preparatory actions” for a possible attack “and also that there is a focus by the 19-year-old perpetrator on the Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna,” the Austria Press Agency reported.
Ruf said the 19-year-old had pledged an oath of allegiance to the Islamic State group.
The Austrian citizen is believed to have become radicalized on the internet. Ruf said that chemical substances were secured and were being evaluated. He didn’t give more details.
The cancelation came hours after authorities said security measures for the Swift concerts would be stepped up. Ruf said that there would be a special focus among other things on entry checks and concertgoers should plan a bit more time.
Vienna police chief Gerhard Pürstl said at the same time that, while any concrete danger had be en minimized, an abstract risk justified raising security.
Austrian Interior Minister Gerhard Karner said after the cancelation that the country’s police and intelligence service had “contributed everything to ensure safe events” and that the organizer made the decision to cancel the concerts, APA reported. He said there had been “close networking with foreign security authorities.”
Barracuda Music said that “all tickets will be automatically refunded within the next 10 business days.” The same wording was posted under the Vienna dates on Swift’s official website.
The Vienna stadium had been sold out for the planned concerts, APA reported, with an estimated 170,000 fans expected for the concerts in Austria.
Swift fans took to social media to express their devastation at missing out on one of the superstar’s shows. Some who posted on social network X lamented months of now-wasted efforts to make friendship bracelets and pick out fashionable outfits for the performance.
In 2017, an attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England killed 22 people. Suicide bomber Salman Abedi set up a knapsack bomb in Manchester Arena at the end of Grande’s concert as thousands of young fans were leaving. More than 100 people were injured. Abedi died in the explosion.
An official inquiry reported last year that Britain’s domestic intelligence agency, MI5, didn’t act swiftly enough on key information and missed a significant opportunity to prevent the bombing, the deadliest extremist attack in the U.K. in recent years.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Shohei Ohtani’s contract with the Dodgers could come with bonus of mostly avoiding California taxes
- Army helicopter flying through Alaska mountain pass hit another in fatal April crash, report says
- NOT REAL NEWS: A look at what didn’t happen this week
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Max Scherzer has back surgery, will miss much of 2024 season for Rangers
- Wisconsin man gets 3 years in prison for bomb threat against governor in 2018
- Ben Napier still courts wife Erin: 'I wake up and I want her to fall in love with me'
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- Mississippi police sergeant who shot unarmed boy, 11, in chest isn't charged by grand jury
Ranking
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- Salaam Green selected as the city of Birmingham’s inaugural poet laureate
- How Jonathan Scott and Zooey Deschanel Are Blocking Out the BS Amid Wedding Planning Process
- Navy officer serving 3-year sentence in Japan for deadly crash is now in U.S. custody, his family says
- PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
- Will cars in the future be equipped with devices to prevent drunk driving? What we know.
- No room at the inn? As holidays approach, migrants face eviction from New York City shelters
- Indianapolis police chief to step down at year’s end for another role in the department
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
One last Hanukkah gift from Hallmark: 'Round and Round' is a really fun romcom
Man sentenced to up to life in prison for shooting deaths of retired couple on hiking trail
Prosecutors vow to seek justice for Maria Muñoz after Texas wife's suspicious death
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Court denies review of Pac-12 appeal, handing league control to Oregon State, Washington State
Maryland Gov. Wes Moore says Orioles lease at Camden Yards headed to a vote
Suriname’s ex-dictator faces final verdict in 1982 killings of political opponents. Some fear unrest